The Flatirons Food Film Festival is an annual multi-day feast celebrating exceptional culinary cinema. The events take place in Boulder, Colorado, a city known as the epicenter of the natural foods industry and locus of the American craft brewing renaissance. The festival includes film showings, expert speakers, discussions, and food and beverage events. It is associated with the International Film Series at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Most films screen on the CU-Boulder campus.
Festival Founder and Director
The Flatirons Food Film Festival is the initiative of film and culinary buff Julia Joun. Her twin passions for film and the wide-ranging world of food motivated her to create and run the festival.
The festival is a year-round endeavor for Julia. She’s constantly sniffing out food films and researching print and Web articles about the many aspects of gastronomy. In the rest of her spare time, Julia writes a blog for Black Cat Bistro, Bramble and Hare restaurant, and the Black Cat Farm. If you see her around town, say hello.
We made Julia tell us what led her to take this on and why she is so passionate about both food and films. Check out her story.
You can contact Julia through our contact page.
Festival Advisory Board
The Flatirons Food Film Festival advisory board consists of the following individuals, who are well-versed in film, gastronomy, and much more.
- Dan Hayward is owner and operator of Savory Spice Shop – Boulder.
- Dana Faulk Query is President and Principal of Mable & Chung, a restaurant consulting and marketing firm.
- Eric Skokan is Chef and Owner of Black Cat Farm-Table-Bistro and Bramble and Hare in Boulder and owner and chief farmer of Black Cat Farm.
- Eve Orenstein is Director of Opera on Tap Colorado and Founder and Director of Mile High Swappers.
- Jane Roach is Owner and Consultant of Chandra Services, LLC, which provides accounting, bookkeeping, and consulting services to small business owners.
- Kelly Whitaker is Chef and Co-owner of Basta in Boulder and Cart-Driver in Denver.
- Kuvy Ax is Founder and Owner of ROOT PR, a public relations and marketing company oriented to the food and beverage industries.
- Megan Bucholz is the founder and operator of Local Table Tours, which offers guided culinary tours of Boulder and Denver.
- Nicolle Thompson is Director of Sponsorship and Event Strategy at the Colorado Restaurant Association.
- Pablo Kjolseth is Director of the International Film Series at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Ramon Diaz founded and directed the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival for five years and works as an event planner for several Boulder organizations.
- Willow King is Co-founder and Owner of Ozuké, a company that specializes in probiotic fermented pickled vegetables.
Festival Public Relations
ROOT PR handles public relations for the Flatirons Food Film Festival. It specializes in strategic communications, traditional public relations, social media, and special events for the food and beverage industries.